8/7/2019 (Wed) 12:00 AM
12/5/2019 (Thu) 11:59 PM
READ THIS BEFORE REGISTERING YOUR SCOUTS!!!!!!
REQUIREMENTS FOR ATTENDING NYLT
An NYLT course is ideal for training youth unit leaders. It can also be a valuable experience for older Scouts and Venturers. In order to attend an NYLT course, a youth must meet the following qualifications before the course begins:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Must be a First Class Scout and have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation. (This must be emailed to the course director and staff advisor prior to attending the Participant Orientation for your course). Please have your Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor send the written recommendation with contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com .
- All Participants must plan to attend Participant Orientation on 7 December, 2019 at McGimsey Scout Park Dining Hall from 2-3 pm.
Question: The Troop’s ASPL has been in the unit for over two years. He really needs training. He is a little uncomfortable and doesn’t get along well with other youth. I think NYLT can straighten him out. WRONG! Even if he meets most of the requirements to attend, when the Unit Leader signs the registration form, it is telling us that this youth is being personally recommended because of his leadership abilities and his high character. NYLT is not a boarding school! Our staff is busy training youth who already have the desire and character to be great leaders. We do not have the time to spend correcting any undisciplined youth who will only detract from the training schedule. We depend upon you; your unit will receive the benefits of this training.
Up to FOUR youth may be registered per unit. If you have more than four, they should be registered on the waiting list.
You will be required to have the scouts BSA ID Number, Birth Date, Email address, Phone number and mailing address to register them.
All scouts must be paid in full by Participant Orientation. We will be collecting payments at the orientation if you still need to make your final payment.